Zaifeng

This is the beauty of peer review. I've sent out a piece on 'Prince Chun' and his visit to Germany after the Boxer Rebellion on a 'mission of atonement'. Generally they really liked it, but one reviewer pointed out that Zaifeng had kept a diary of his time in Germany and wanted to know why I hadn't used it. The answer is I didn't know it existed.
It's the perfect source! Of course it exists only in Chinese but the good people at Flinders document delivery have tracked it down for me and have sent me a copy.
 I'm now chatting to a few Sinologists that I met at the conference PM and I held at Flinders in January and I'm hoping to have someone let me know what's in the diary (in general terms) before it goes to publication. Thanks to the reviewer, who has given me a nice gift! And the article (and corresponding enlargement of it in the book) will be all the better for it.
In other news, I'm moving towards writing the section about the visits and stay by theThai royal family, which I'll also loop into the visits by Chinese and possibly Persian monarchs (and maybe Japanese?), on the questions of how to modernise the monarchy. It's a nice counter to Anglocentric versions, pointing out that for Asian monarchs, Wilhelm II was a role model of modern constitutional monarchy. Perhaps. I've got some of the Thai sources and the Chinese. I have to look more closely at the Japanese and Persian material wherever I can come across it. But it is an attractive chapter to write. 

Comments

Popular Posts